January 11th, 2011
The lack of updates this past few months has a very good reason: I’ve been working diligently on my final year project UR!KA. I posted about this for the first time way back in March last year, and at the half way point I’ve got to say I’m happy with my progress, despite falling behind schedule due to other commitments (job, social life, sport, you know, stuff that keeps you from turning into a code monkey).
With the project allowing me to build features such as inline image cropping, tagging and notifications, I’ve definitely evolved as a web developer, especially when it comes to using some rather incredible frameworks. Besides time, my two biggest obstacles at the moment are 1) wanting to try out all the lovely new features HTML5 and CSS3 has to offer, and 2) documenting this colossus in under 7000 words!
Take a look at the development blog if you are interesting in finding out exactly what UR!KA is, obviously I can’t reveal too much, but it gives a better idea. Here’s a recent video I recorded as well, showing some of the new features:
Seeing as my university life is coming to an end, I will be looking for jobs soon, which means really shaping up my personal brand. I’ve got a few bit and bobs to do around this site by then, namely writing up some tutorials about some cool experiments I’ve been doing with jQuery, but also updating my portfolio with all the work I’ve done for the Webteam @ University of Kent over the last 18 months, including working on the system behind their brand new snazzy site.
Never a dull moment!